This is a typical cake from Sardinian, made with fresh ricotta cheese. You can use sheep ricotta cheese as required by the recipe, but I tried it with goat ricotta cheese and it has become a very peculiar cake, with a strong and intense flavour, but really delicious. It is a cake for dummies: easy ingredients, easy making and easy baking.
I managed to have a perfect cake even if I chose a wrong mould, definitely too small, and I kept on opening the oven to remove living mixture poring out from the mould as lava from an Hawaiian volcano! So, the only advice is: use a proper plum cake mould, look after the size!
Sardinian cake with ricotta cheese and lemon
- flour, 300 gr
- caster sugar, 300 gr
- fresh goat ricotta cheese, 300 gr
- eggs, 3
- lemon, 1 (juice and grated zest)
- backing powder, 1 large tablespoon
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Stir ricotta cheese and sugar with a fork.
- Add egg yolks, lemon zest and lemon juice, then flour and baking powder.
- Beat the egg whites and add them to the mixture.
- Pour into a cheesecake mould and bake for 40 minutes until it gets golden or a skewer comes out dry.
- Let cool and dust with some icing sugar.
- Keep it in a dry place and you can eat this cake for days, it's extremely good for breakfast!