Sometimes you just want things to be simple, immediate. Mix, spread, bake. The pleasure and satisfaction come immediately. Sometimes you just need simple things. I’m coming back, I’ve finished most of my projects, I’m coming back, wait for me!
Sausage and stracchino crostoni, or the praise of simple pleasures. In winter, when it’s late and you don’t feel like cooking, ofter our dinner would consist of a tray of mixed bruschette, a green salad seasoned with olive oil and lemon juice and a pan of quickly sautéed spinach. The toasted bread rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil never fail, but you need something more filling to turn it from a hearty appetizer into a proper dinner: sausage and soft cheese is my favourite bruschetta.
Even during my winter cooking classes this is one of the most appreciated appetizers, loved equally by children and grown-ups, you won’t ever make enough of it. The stracchino on its own is not one of my favourite cheeses, I usually prefer a young pecorino, though mashed with sausage it changes totally, giving to the pork a melting creaminess that can hardly be beaten. On the other side the sausage – always buy a fresh good quality sausage – creates a golden crust and keeps the crostone moist.
You can serve them as an appetizer, but do not exaggerate with the quantities of crostoni, otherwise it will be difficult to continue with the meal!
Some simple changes may be the addition of a drop of balsamic vinegar, of aromatic fennel seeds or a generous handful of cubes of soft cheese, such as brie or asiago, to increase the pleasure of biting into it.
- 200 g fresh sausage
- 200 g stracchino, a soft and creamy cheese
- Tuscan bread
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190°C, broiler function.
- Remove the skin of the sausages and gather the meat in a bowl.
- Mash the sausage and the soft cheese with a fork until roughly mixed.
- Slice the bread into thick slices and spread them generously with the sausage and soft cheese, then bake them until they're golden and the cheese is lusciously melting.
- Serve immediately until hot, with a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper.