A few years ago I wanted to find my chocolate cake, something I could call Giulia’s chocolate cake. I was searching for a cake I could whip up in a moment, without even thinking about it, mixing all the ingredients almost with closed eyes. It’s your cake when you are guided more by textures and smell than by precise doses. I wanted an unpretentious everyday cake.
I was searching for a cake which could be the staple at my nieces’ birthday parties. I would also make it on a Sunday morning if I knew I had friends over for dinner: even if they would have brought gelato, nothing beats a slice of warm chocolate cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. But above all I was searching for a deeply aromatic cake, with the juice and zest of seasonal clementines and the a remote hint of good olive oil.
I tried it, and what came out, the olive oil and tangerine chocolate cake, later became my chocolate cake. Perhaps it could be also yours, if you give it a try.
I gradually grew fond of my cake: we shared birthday parties, contemplative moments with a cup of black coffee and lazy breakfasts when the new day struggles to start. I love it from the first perfect slice to the last delicious chocolaty crumbles on the plate. I am so fond that we made a video recipe.
You can use a stand mixer if you are in a hurry, or enjoy the making with a bowl and a whisk, as you can see from the video. If you feel the urge to leave your desk and start collecting all the ingredients on the kitchen table, I will understand!
It is an uncomplicated cake, comforting as a friend’s hug or a cup of tea in the afternoon. It has a soft and almost wet crumb, with a thin crisp crust. Look at it, it’s my cake. You can serve it with a dusting of icing sugar, which adds even more charm to its rustic look.
Now I leave the video recipe made, as always, with Tommaso, who also had the good chance in these days to eat the whole cake, slice after slice, for breakfast!
Chocolate and clementine olive oil cake, the video recipe
If you prefer to read through the ingredient list and the step by step procedure, this is the written recipe. Tell my if you fell in love with it!
Chocolate and clementine olive oil cake
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 120 g ½ cup - 4,23 oz raw cane sugar
- 120 g ¾ cup - 4,23 oz 50% dark chocolate
- 50 g 3 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 2 organic clementines
- 100 g 1 cup lightly packed - 3,53 oz almond flour
- 100 g ½ cup - 3,53 oz wholewheat flour
- 8 g 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Icing sugar to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F - gas mark 4).
- Whip the eggs with the raw cane sugar until light and pale.
- Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie and stir in the extra virgin olive oil, the clementine juice and the finely grated zest.
- Combine the liquids to the well beaten eggs and sugar and mix well.
- Sift the almond flour with the wholewheat flour, the baking powder and a pinch of salt and fold into the mixture gently.
- Grease a 20 cm round mould cake and dust slightly with flour.
- Spoon the chocolate batter into the mould and bake for about 25 minutes until dry, almost crisp on the surface and moist inside.
- Let cool completely before dusting with icing sugar to serve.
… what about the next video recipes?
Do you have any special request? we want to do something that you will like, so I’m waiting for your suggestions and ideas in the comments! and now everyone in the kitchen to make the cake!