News always scare me a little bit. Even more than a little bit to be honest. What is strange is that I also like the news, like a lot. I am always looking for something new, I hope that something will change, I hope to be surprised by new and unexpected things that give spice to life. And when they finally arrive, I am scared, I need time to get used to that.
I like to create my small personal routines that welcome in the morning and give me self-confidence during the day, so when something breaks the routine, well it makes me lose my balance. And that scares me. But on the other hand I am the first one aiming to break this balance – I try constantly even without realizing it – because this is what keeps you going and makes you discover other aspects of yourself and the outer world you would not know otherwise.
I made these reflections while using for the first time Takaje, the vacuum system by TreSpade, received in November… I mean, November. It’s April now. A lapse of time that can make you perfectly realize how long it takes me to use something completely new and out of my habits. I faced the news with the only approach I have: books and more books on sous vide cooking. Yet I was blocked by the news, by the fear of not having all the right tools to embrace fully prepared a new experience.
The answer came a few days ago. Move around the obstacle and move forward, or rather deal with fear in a creative way. If you do not have all you need to cook sous vide, use your machine to marinate the chicken drumsticks and then deep fry them. Simple, fast, clean and above all tasty.
Deep fried chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tsp of sweet paprika
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp of flour
- 4 tbsp of breadcrumbs
- 1 litre (4 cups) of oil for frying, according to your mood, a good extra virgin olive oil, or at least a good organic seed oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Remove the skin from chicken thighs, rinse under running water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- If you can use a vacuum system machine, season the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika, rub the drumsticks and put them into the appropriate bags. Forget them for one night in the fridge. If you do not have vacuum machine, no fear! put them in a bowl, cover with cold water, add salt, pepper and paprika and stash again in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, remove the chicken thighs from the sous vide bag or drain from the marinade. Pat them dry. Put flour, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in a bag and then add the chicken thighs. Close the bag and shake happily.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown on each side. Serve hot.
And now it’s your turn!
Do you have experience with sous vide cooking? Recipes to suggest? Tips, tricks and practices that you want to share? And also, since I’m interested in the same way, how do you deal with news?