aprile 7, 2011
It is already a month that Claudia left for her Erasmus semester in Germany. I cannot believe I managed not to talk about this situation until now. Knowing me, I thought I would have soon abandoned myself into elegy and I remember when posts. I have this beyond any control teary disposition, I think you have already noticed it, and certainly the whole Stuttgart airport has noticed it as well, hostesses, waiters and maintenance included!
But I’m good – good Juls – every now and then I repeat it to myself. Yet, when Claudia texts me I’m happy as I had just received a lover’s letter, soaked with love and passion. If I could, I would immediately launch the beatification process for the Skype inventor: at night we see each other in the webcam and it is just as when we used to call it a day, sitting on the sofa with a warm fennel infusion.
She has a fine selection of desserts to indulge herself into in Germany, and she has the most delicious strawberries to nibble at, too. Yet I’m sure that she just would love this strawberry and mascarpone pound cake. It is definitely her kind of cake: not too sweet, simple, packed with lots of fresh fruit. I promise I’ll bake this for you, Claudia, when you come back home for the Easter break, along with artichoke pie, pasta al pesto and so many yummy things to treat you!
The pound cake, also know in French as quatre quart, is one of the few desserts I can make, along with shortcrust and pastry cream, without having to keep a finger on the recipes written on my notebook or on a cookbook. Just remember the golden proportion: use the same weight of eggs, flour, sugar and fat component. Having this proportion clear in your mind, just follow your imagination for the next steps!
A few notes before you start. Weigh the eggs with their shell, before cracking them open. The fat component may be butter, cream, mascarpone cheese, extravirgin olive oil… as you prefer. Today I tried with mascarpone cheese, which gave a moist and soft texture to the cake.
Strawberry and mascarpone pound cake – Recipe for 2 cakes
- 8 eggs (about 500 g)
- 500 g sugar
- 500 g mascarpone cheese
- 500 g flour (400 g plain flour + 100 g rice flour)
- 20 g baking powder
- lemon zest
- 500 g strawberries
- butter to grease the moulds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Weigh the eggs with their shell. What will be the weight that should be used for flour, mascarpone and sugar.
- Beat the eggs and the sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Now add the mascarpone cheese and stir thoroughly.
- Mix in the flour, the baking powder and the lemon zest. Stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Wash and path the strawberries dry. Slice or halve them and fold them gently into the mixture.
- Pour into two plum-cake tins, previously greased and floured.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15′ and let it cool down completely before unmould.
Searching for a different flavour hint? You can serve the pound cake with a drizzle of chocolate sauce, just melt the chocolate in a bain-marie with some milk. Otherwise, you can flavour the cake with a tablespoon of vanilla essence, some grated Indian long pepper or a few leaves of lemon thyme or basil.