ottobre 18, 2011
A slice of apple cake resting on a rustic table, the inviting smell of sugar and butter warmed up by a ray of sunshine… Yeah, you would presume that this is the natural light of an arched window overlooking the hills in front of Casole, right? Well, no, this photo was taken during Dario Milano‘s food styling and food photography workshop, which was held last Saturday at the Verrocchio Art Centre. And I was using artificial lighting…
An illuminating day, it is appropriate to say. Dario’s professionalism, enthusiasm, generosity and curiosity of Darius have charmed our group of foodbloggers, foodies and photographers. We were completely in awe.
A few shots to describe emotionally a day of discovery, friendship and inspiration.
It was amazing to see through Dario’s eyes, to understand how to make real an image, working on the details, on the mathematical ratio between exposure, ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Thanks to all the participants, you made the day: Emiko, Sarah, Valeria, Jasmine, Elisa, Rossella, Cecilia, Lara, Fausto, Paola, Chiara, Roberta and Francesco.
And now the recipe for my Grandma’s apple cake: we spent the whole day looking at the apple cake slice from all the perspectives, with natural light and artificial lightning, I should at least give you the recipe!
- 4 apples
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon
- 170 g of sugar
- 150 g of butter
- 200 g of flour
- 1 packet of baking powder (17 g)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Peel and core the apples. Dice two of them and slice the rest of the apples. Put the diced and sliced apple into two different bowls and season them with a tablespoon of sugar, the juice and the grated peel of one lemon.
- Whip the egg yolks with the sugar until creamy, then stir in the melted butter and gradually mix in the flour sifted with the baking powder. Stir in the diced apples.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and gently fold them into the batter.
- If the batter is too thick, you can add a dash of warm milk.
- Pour into a 24 cm greased and floured cake tin and arrange the sliced apples on the surface, in concentric circles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until it is golden brown on the surface.