Think about Tuscan cakes and sweet things. What comes to your mind? Maybe panforte, Sienese ricciarelli, cantuccini and vinsanto, castagnaccio… these are all traditional elements.
But what about my family? Which are our typical desserts? So I closed my eyes and I started thinking about what grandma used to make when she wanted to prepare something sweet, something to cuddle me, to nurture me (as a child, believe me or not, I was skinny!), to conquer my child heart.
I remembered my birthday cakes, soft sponge cake filled with custard and chocolate, or zuppa inglese, my favourite sweet thing during tea time in winter.
Then the sweet and delicate flavour of apple fritters came into my mind: granny used to make them when I was a little girl, when I used to sleep next to the stove, when I was sick at home from school, wrapped in a woolly blanket. They used to be my comfort food. My father told me he always had apple fritters when, as a child, he was sick at home.
No wonder at all: just eggs and apples, you surely have them in a country house, don’t you?
When my sister was a child, we changed cake since her favourite one was a rolled sponge cake with custard and chocolate: what a fun and chatty little girl, but sooo picky!
Tuscan apple fritters
And so, after many years, granny and I decided to make them again, our apple fritters… and I was suddenly a child again, wrapped in a heavy woolly blanket, cuddled by my grandma with hugs and sweet things.
- 2 Golden Delicious apples
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of lager beer
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- peanut oil for frying
- sugar to decorate
- Beat the egg in a bowl, add a pinch of salt and the flour and pour in the extra virgin olive oil and the beer: if needed, add a tablespoon of water to make a smooth but not too liquid batter. It is supposed to cover the apples, not to slide off!
- Peel the apples, core them paying attention not to break them and cut the apples into horizontal slices, 1 cm thick.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. The right moment to fry the apples is when the oil starts to smoke, as grandma says. Dip the apple slices into the batter and deep fry them until cooked through and golden on both sides.
- Transfer the apples into a plate lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle the fritters with icing sugar and serve them warm.